I just returned home from a trip to France. It was the trip of a lifetime and I was beaming when I got back. I swept through the airport, picked up my car, and off I was on a 7 hour car ride home. But that energy was fading quickly, and soon I found myself with a headache, fever, sore throat – the whole 9 yards. I had the flu.
And it wasn’t long after that, when I was laying in bed trying to get better, that I thought to myself: “This isn’t fair.” I had work to do, deadlines to meet, and another trip looming just 3 days later. That was when I gave myself a much needed kick in the pants. Not fair? How could my sickness be unfair? I had so much to be thankful for, and I’m pretty sure getting the flu was just life telling me to take a rest.
So I started thinking about all of the things I am grateful for. Gratitude has been a big part of my life over the last year. I’ve been trying to incorporate it into everything I do and the way I see the world. I’ve long since known that gratitude is one of the top factors in happiness, and so I try to be thankful for each and every little thing that comes my way.
And, since I can’t stop myself, here is even more mega gratefulness spewing your way!
1. I’m grateful that people signed up for the retreat I was hosting in France to make the trip possible, and that I could make 13 amazing new friends for life.
2. I am grateful for the hotel in the Moscow airport so we could get some extra sleep while traveling.
3. I am grateful for getting sick so that I could take some time to rest after an exhausting 12-day trip.
4. I am grateful for my friends who traveled with me and went beyond their assisting duties to make sure I was nourished and feeling good.
5. I am grateful for my husband and sister-in-law who have been taking care of me since I returned.
6. I am grateful for not stepping in a giant pile of lo mein on the sidewalk outside of a restaurant yesterday (that would not have been fun to clean).
7. I am grateful for jumping in a waterfall at sunrise with my new friends (<– Definitely had this flu coming).
8. I am grateful for EVERYTHING!
I believe that the more grateful we all our, the more our lives can thrive…that includes whatever your passion is, be it photography or otherwise. I create in a much more fulfilling way when I focus on the good things in my life. My mind is free to find inspiration when I am not tied down by negativity.
What 3 things are you GRATEFUL for that happened last week?